My lab. is working on the area of biotechnology and climate change with emphasis on genes for high temperature stress tolerance for development of wheat transgenics tolerant to high temperature stress.
Bioprospecting of genes and better performing alleles for high temperature stress tolerance, from across the plant kingdom and their validation in model systems for developing transgenic wheat adaptable to climate induced abiotic stresses form the major research goal. Identification and characterization of abiotic stress responsive genes using various differential display techniques like transcriptome profiling, SSH, microarray analysis and PCR based strategies is been carried out from hardy plants such as Penniseteum, Zizyphus and Prosopis as well as thermotolerant cultivars and landraces of wheat which are inherently tolerant to various abiotic stresses.
Standardization of efficient transformation protocols for elite Indian wheat cultivars is another major research area of my lab. Standardization of wheat transformation protocols is underway and the the identified genes are been transformed in wheat using different transformation strategies.
Work on utilization of microbial resources for prospecting of genes for biotic stress tolerance (fungicidal and insecticidal) has also been carried out. A collection of Bt isolates from diverse environmental niches have been characterized and novel cry and vip genes have been isolated
Awards & Honors
- IIFS- Rashtriya Guarav Award for excellence in Science (2014)
- Yadav AN, Verma P, Kumar M, Pal KK, Dey R, Gupta A, Padaria JC, Gujar GT, Kumar S, Suman A, Prasanna R, Saxena AK (2014) Diversity and phylogenetic profiling of niche-specific Bacilli from extreme environments of India. Annals of Microbiology doi:10.1007/s31213-014-0897-9), 1-19
- Yadav R, Verma OP, Padaria JC (2014) Modified CTAB protocol for genomic DNA extraction from mature leaves of zizypus nummularia. RES J BIOTECHNOL 9: 43-47
- Thakur JK, Paul S, Dureja P, Annapurna K, Padaria JC, Gopal M (2014) Degradation of sulphonated Azo dye red HE7B by Bacillus sp. And elucidation of degradative pathways. Current Microbiology 69: 183-191
- Padaria JC, Sarkar K, Lone SA, Srivastava S (2014) Molecular characterization of cellulose-degrading Bacillus pumilus from the soil of tea garden, Darjeeling hills, India. Journal of Environmental Biology 35: 551-561
- Kumar M, Prasanna R, Lone S, Padaria JC, Saxena AK (2014) Cloning and expression of dnaK gene from Bacillus pumilus of hot water spring origin. Applied & Translational Genomics 3: 14–20
- Padaria JC, Choudhary M, Tarafdar A (2013) An efficient protocol for genomic DNA isolation from field grown mature leaves of Penniseteum gluacum. Res J Biotechnol 8: 30-34
- Ram K, Padaria JC, Singh A (2013) Isolation and characterization of symbiotically defective pyrimidine and amino acid auxotrophs of Mesorhizobium ciceri in chickpea. Journal of Environmental Biology 34: 793-797
- Padaria JC, Bhatt D, Biswas K, Singh G, Raipuria R (2013) In-silico prediction of uncharacterized protein generated from heat responsive SSH library in wheat (Tritium aestivum L.). Plant Omnics Journal 6: 150-156
- Shakil NA, Singh MK, Sathiyendiran M, Kumar J, Padaria JC (2013) Microwave synthesis, characterization and bio-efficacy evaluation of novel chalcone based 6-carbethoxy-2 cyclohexen-1-one and 2H-indazol-3-ol derivatives. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 59: 120-131
- Shakil NA, Kumar J, Padaria JC, Singh MK, Shukla L, Jha G (2012) Antibacterial activities of essential oils and their constituents against growth of Xanthomonas species. Ann Pl. Protec. Sci 20: 195-200
- Padaria JC, Kapoor V (2011). Plasmid borne gene of Bacillus pumillus MTCC7615 responsible for fungal antagonism towards Rhizoctonia solani. Indian Journal of Biotechnology 10: 316-320
- Padaria JC, Soren KR, Singh A (2011) Cysteine proteinase-like gene has role in symbiotic properties of Mesorhizobium ciceri TAL620. Journal of Ecofriendly Agriculture 6: 131-136
- Padaria JC, Ranjan H, Singh A (2010) Soil microbe Bacillus pumillus MTCC7615 antagonistic to a wide spectrum of phytopathogens. Journal of Ecofriendly Agriculture 5: 94-97
- Magheswaran V, Kumar U, Gupta A, Padaria J, Annapurna K (2010) Paenibacillus polymyxa HKA-15: Effect of seed treatment on suppression of charcoal rot disease and growth promotion of soybean. PUSA AgriScience 33: 14-19
- Padaria JC, Singh A (2009) Molecular Characterization Of Soil Bacteria Antagonistic To Rhizoctonia solani, Sheath Blight Of Rice. Journal of Environmental Science & Health Part B 44: 397-402
- Padaria JC, Srivastav S, Singh A (2008) Isolation of a bacterial isolate of Bacillus pumillus as an antagonistic to casual agent of sheath blight of rice. Journal of Ecofriendly Agriculture 3: 56-61
- Lone, S.A., Malik. A and Padaria, J.C. 2013. Microbial resource centres towards harnessing microbial diversity for human welfare. In: Management of microbial resources in the environment. (Malik, A., Grohmann, E. and Alves, M. eds.), Springer Publishing House, Heidelberg, New York pp: 51-68
- Showkat A. Lone and Jasdeep Chatrath Padaria 2012 Phylogenetic analysis of microbes using bioinformatic tools. In “Recent Trends in Computational Biology and Computational Statistics Applied in Biotechnology and Bioinformatics”, Ed. Ajit Kumar Roy, New India Publishing Agency, New Delhi pp 388-410.
- Jasdeep Chatrath Padaria and Akhilesh Kumar 2011 Bioprospecting of genes for changing global climate. In Climate Change : Impacts and Adaptation in Crop Plants”, Eds.Madan Pal Singh, Sangeeta Khetarpal, Renu Pandey & Pramod Kumar. Today & Tomorrow’s Printers & Publishers pp 103-118.
- Padaria, R.N., Baldeo Singh, J.C.Padaria, Pankaj Kumar and Ramesh Chandra. 2010. BT kapas dwaraparyavaran va gramil jivkoparjan ki sajaltam suraksha. In Book Behtar paryavaran ke liye bhartiya krishi”. IARI, New Delhi pp 147-152
- Jasdeep Chatrath Padaria and R.Chandra 2003 Genetic Engineering: A strategic approach for hi –tech horticulture. In Precision Farming in Horticulticulture. Eds. H.P.Singh, Gorakh Singh, Jose. C. Samuel and R.K.Pathak. NCPAH, DAC/PFDC, CISH pp 239-252
- Jasdeep Kaur Chatrath and R.P. Sharma 2000 Characterization of crystal protein gene of Bacillus thuringiensis toxic to pod borer of chickpea. In Proceedings of National Seminar on Plant Physiology paradigm for Fostering Agro and Biotechnology and Augmenting Environmental Productivity. Eds. R.S. Dwivedi and V.K. Singh. I.S.P. Publishers, New Delhi: 27-31
|Name of the Project||Funding Agency|
|National initiative for climate resilient agriculture||
|Design and construction of a strong promoter for constitutive overexpression of a nifA gene in Azotobacter vinelandii||