My research interest is to study root development under drought stress conditions in wheat (Triticum aestivum) using physiological, molecular and genetic approaches. The work involves identification and functional characterization of genes and mapping of QTLs for drought tolerance in wheat.
- Choudhury S, Mansi, Muthusamy SK, Padaria JC, Dalal M (2021) Genome-wide identification of Ran GTPase family genes from wheat (T. aestivum) and their expression profile during developmental stages and abiotic stress conditions. Functional & Integrative Genomics. Mar;21(2):239-250.
- Singh BK, Ramkumar MK, Dalal M, Singh A, Solanke AU, Singh NK, Sevanthi AM (2021). Allele mining for a drought responsive gene DRO1 determining root growth angle in donors of drought tolerance in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Physiology Molecular Biology of Plants. 27(3):523-534.
- Kumar R R, Dubey K, Arora K, Dalal M, Rai GK, Mishra D, Chaturvedi KK, Rai A, Kumar SN, Singh B, Viswanathan C, Praveen S (2021) Characterizing the putative mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) and their protective role in oxidative stress tolerance and carbon assimilation in wheat under terminal heat stress. Biotechnology Reports, e00597.
- Awakale P, Tiwari S, Vinod, Dalal M (2020) Osmotic stress induced root growth and regulation of root development related genes in progenitors of wheat. Indian Journal of Genetics and plant breeding, 80(3) 334-338.
- Allimuthu, E., Dalal, M., Kumar, K. G., Sellathdurai, D., Kumar, R. R., Sathee, L., & Chinnusamy, V. (2020). Characterization of Atypical Protein Tyrosine Kinase (PTK) Genes and Their Role in Abiotic Stress Response in Rice. Plants, 9(5), 664.
- Mahmoud, D., Pandey, R., Sathee, L., Dalal, M., Singh, M. P., & Chinnusamy, V. (2020). Regulation of expression of genes associated with nitrate response by osmotic stress and combined osmotic and nitrogen deficiency stress in bread wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Plant Physiology Reports, 1-16.
- Das, M., Dalal, M., & Chinnusamy, V. (2020). Kinetic properties of recombinant phosphomimic mutant of Zea mays phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase (Zm PEPC S15D). Plant Physiology Reports, 1-8.
- Smita, S., Katiyar, A., Lenka, S. K., Dalal, M., Kumar, A., Mahtha, S. K., ... & Bansal, K. C. (2020). Gene network modules associated with abiotic stress response in tolerant rice genotypes identified by transcriptome meta-analysis. Functional & Integrative Genomics, 20(1), 29-49.
- Dalal, M., Sahu, S., Tiwari, S., Rao, A. R., & Gaikwad, K. (2018). Transcriptome analysis reveals interplay between hormones, ROS metabolism and cell wall biosynthesis for drought-induced root growth in wheat. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, 130, 482-492.
- Gayatri, Rani, M., Mahato, A. K., Sinha, S. K., Dalal, M., Singh, N. K., & Mandal, P. K. (2019). Homeologue Specific Gene Expression Analysis of Two Vital Carbon Metabolizing Enzymes—Citrate Synthase and NADP-Isocitrate Dehydrogenase—from Wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) Under Nitrogen Stress. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 188(3), 569-584.
- Sharma, L., Dalal, M., Verma, R. K., Kumar, S. V., Yadav, S. K., Pushkar, S., ... & Chinnusamy, V. (2018). Auxin protects spikelet fertility and grain yield under drought and heat stresses in rice. Environmental and Experimental Botany, 150, 9-24.
- Muthusamy, S. K., Dalal, M., Chinnusamy, V., & Bansal, K. C. (2017). Genome-wide identification and analysis of biotic and abiotic stress regulation of small heat shock protein (HSP20) family genes in bread wheat. Journal of Plant Physiology, 211, 100-113.
- Muthusamy, S. K., Dalal, M., Chinnusamy, V., & Bansal, K. C. (2016). Differential regulation of genes coding for organelle and cytosolic ClpATPases under biotic and abiotic stresses in wheat. Frontiers in Plant Science, 7, 929.
- RK Gupta, M Dalal, G Thomas, PR Choudhury, PK Mandal (2016) Relationship Between HMW Glutenin Subunit and Bread Making Quality of Wheat in Indian Cultivars. Advances in Life Sciences 5, 3008-3015.
- Rakshit S, Swapna M, Dalal M, Sushma G, Ganapathy KN, Dhandapani A, Karthikeyan M & Talwar HS. 2016 Post-flowering drought stress response of post-rainy sorghum genotypes. Plant Physiology Reports (Ind J Plant Physiol) 21:8–14.
- Dalal M and Inupakutika M (2014) Transcriptional regulation of ABA core signaling component genes in sorghum (Sorghum bicolor L. Moench). Molecular Breeding 34:1517–1525.
- Gorthy S, Mayandi K, Faldu D and Dalal M (2013) Molecular characterization of allelic variation in spontaneous brown midrib mutants of sorghum (Sorghum bicolor L Moench). Molecular Breeding 31:795–803
- Dalal M, Sandeep Kumar G, Mayandi K (2013) Identification and expression analysis of group 3 LEA family genes in sorghum . Acta Physiologia Plantarum 35:979–984
- Dalal M, Chinnusamy V, Bansal KC (2013). Abiotic stress response of transgenic Arabidopsis overexpressing Brassica napus group 1 LEA genes. Proc Indian natn Sci Acad 79: 57-64.
- Shrivastava D., Dalal M., Nain V, Sharma P. C., Ananda Kumar P. (2011) Targeted integration of Bacillus thuringiensis d-endotoxin cry1Fa1 in brinjal (Solanum melongena L.). Current Trends in Biotechnology and Pharmacy, 5 (2) 1149-1156
- Dalal M, Chinnusamy V, Bansal KC. (2010) Isolation and functional characterization of Lycopene β-cyclase (CYC-B) promoter from Solanum habrochaites. BMC Plant Biology 2010, 10:61
- Dalal M, Tayal D, Chinnusamy V, Bansal KC. (2009). Abiotic stress and ABA-inducible Group 4 LEA from Brassica napus plays a key role in salt and drought tolerance. Journal of Biotechnology 139: 137-45.
- Nain V, Jaiswal R, Dalal M, Ramesh B, Kumar PA. (2005). Polymerase chain reaction analysis of transgenic plants contaminated by Agrobacterium. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter 23: 59-65.
- Bhalla R, Dalal M, Panguluri SK, Jagadish B, Mandaokar AD, Singh AK, Kumar PA. (2005). Isolation, characterization and expression of a novel vegetative insecticidal protein gene of Bacillus thuringiensis. FEMS Microbiology Letters 243: 467-472.
- Khanna-Chopra R, Moinuddin, Dalal M, Bhatia S, Patil RV, Sinha SK. (2004). Grass-dwarf genetic system for generating variability in plant height and other traits in wheat. Journal of Plant Biology 31: 125-130.
- Manjunatha UH*, Dalal M*, Chatterji M, Radha DR, Visweswariah SS, Nagaraja V. (2002). Functional characterization of mycobacterial DNA gyrase: an efficient decatenase. Nucleic Acids Research 30: 2144-53. * Joint first authors
- Dalal M, Khanna-Chopra R. (2001). Differential response of antioxidant enzymes in leaves of necrotic wheat hybrids and their parents. Physiologia Plantarum 111: 297-304.
- Dalal M, Vijayalakshmi KVS, Khanna-Chopra R, Bharti S. (1999). Ear culture as a technique to overcome hybrid necrosis in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Plant Cell, Tissue & Organ Culture 59: 151-154.
- Dalal M, Khanna-Chopra R. (1999). Lipid peroxidation is an early event in necrosis of wheat hybrid. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communication 262: 109-112.
- Khanna-Chopra R, Dalal M, Pradeep Kumar G, Laloraya M. (1998). A genetic system involving superoxide causes F1 necrosis in wheat (T. aestivum L.). Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communication 248: 712-715.
- Dalal, M., & Sharma, T. R. (2017). Biotechnological Applications for Improvement of Drought Tolerance. In Abiotic Stress Management for Resilient Agriculture (pp. 299-312). Springer, Singapore.
- Dalal M. (2016). Sorghum: Transformation and regeneration. In Compendium of Plant Genomes: Sorghum. (Rakshit S, Campbell B & Godwin I, eds.), Ch.5, Springer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Dalal M & Chinnusamy V. (2015) ABA Receptors: Prospects for enhancing biotic and abiotic stress. In: Elucidation of Abiotic Stress Signaling in Plants. A Functional Genomic Perspective (Pandey GK, eds), Ch.10, Springer Science+Business Media New York 2015
- Dalal M and Chinnusamy V (2014) Molecular genetic approaches for Improvement of Drought tolerance in rice. In Abiotic stress tolerance in crop plants. Ed by Dr.M.Prakash and Dr. K.Balakrishnan.). Satish Serial Publishing house, Delhi. p.1-22.ISBN. 978-93-81226-92-6.
- Chinnusamy V, Dalal M, and Zhu J-K (2013) Epigenetic regulation of abiotic stress responses in plants. Chapter 8 In Plant Abiotic Stress, Second Edition. Edited by Matthew A. Jenks and Paul M. Hasegawa. John Wiley & Sons, Inc
- Dalal M,, Mayandi K., and Chinnusamy V. (2012) Sorghum: Improvement of Abiotic Stress Tolerance. In Improving Crop Resistance to Abiotic Stress,.Ed. Tuteja N., Gill S. S., Tiburcio A. F., and Tuteja R. by Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KgaA
- Dalal M, Ananda Kumar P. (2006) Chapter 5. Transgenic vegetables for pharmaceutical and industrial applications. In: Plant Biotechnology: Perspectives and Prospects: Ed. Trivedi PC, Pointer Publishers, Jaipur, India, ISBN 81-7132-446-0, pp: 110-123
- Dalal M, Kumar PA. (2005). Biotechnology of vegetable crops: Current Trends. Proceedings of AP Akademi of Sciences 9: 219-228.
|Name of the Project||Funding Agency|
|Deciphering the Transcriptional Regulator(s) of Root Hydrotropism in Wheat||
|Identification, cloning and characterization of cell wall biosynthetic pathway genes from sorghum (Sorghum bicolor L Moench)||
DST (completed 2009-2012)